Sunday, January 15, 2012

What is the best language learning website?

I'm trying to learn a language and I think one of the best, and least expensive, ways to learn is to use a website service where you can interact with real native speakers. So I started my search to see what I can find and I must say I was surprised there wasn't more better quality services out there. Although as I discover more and receive feedback from my readers I'll continue to amend those suggestions into this article if warranted.

At this point the winner is Babbel.com - it is well designed and that's important. It's not perfect but it's much better than all the others I tried. Babbel also has an iOS app that made it onto my Top 5 iOS Apps for Learning German. All of this shows me that Babbel is on the right path.




Another very useful feature are the chat rooms - they are really simple but designed to be easy on the eyes unlike  most chat rooms. You can choose the language you are learning - for example, I am learning German at the moment, so I chose the German room. Now I have a place to talk with other native German speakers and to practice my writing skills. There is enough of a community that I could usually find someone in the room 24 hours a day.

Babbel German App [screenshot]



7 comments:

  1. Have you tried http://www.easylanguageexchange.com/ I am finding it very useful at the moment, I'm quite active on it. Has helped me improve my language skills by practicing with native speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice information. The Spanish Language Program of adult total immersion takes into consideration the considerably slow learning ability and tendency among adults. As a result they require more time and special attention in addition to methods which have been devised based on their grasping abilities and also the number of hours they can put in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited this language school in Berlin and can only recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what about an app with words and idiomatic expressions that the Germans use in their everyday life?! When I visit a country, I like to try and talk to people in their language. So the VidaLingua dictionary is a great way to learn German in a fun way! www.vidalingua.com/iphone-ipad-dictionary.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Nepal Trek
    https://mountgloryadventures.com/langtang-valley-trek-7-days

    ReplyDelete